Friday, February 13, 2015

Free Writing Day 10

Vampires

2/13/15

This week, I bought myself a copy of “Dracula Untold”. It’s just another in the long string of vampire movies I have come to love. I have read Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” several times, and have watched so many films, I’ve lost count. My absolute favorite vampire movie is Bela Lugosi’s “Dracula” from the 1930s. I compare every other vampire movie to this one.

I prefer the vampires to be creatures of darkness, as they were in the original novel and old legends. The notion of romantic vampires was odd to me, until I saw Gary Oldman’s version. It showed the other side of the monster…the part that had once been human. He was still this terrifying, evil creature who devoured the innocent, but he was also a man whose broken heart had led him down that path.

I like the Twilight books. I read New Moon in one night (I was up until 3:00 in the morning!). Yes, it’s geared for an eighth grade audience. Yes, it’s full of crappy relationship advice and sappy moments, and yes…the vampires are the objects of desire instead of fear and loathing, but it was cute. I’m personally “Team Jacob”, because if someone who claimed to love me left and caused me that much pain, I could never forgive them. I know myself well enough to accept this fact. The werewolf would win.


When I was a kid, I used to wonder what it would be like to become a vampire. I thought it would be cool to live here forever, to be a creature of the night, to live in darkness. I thought it would be cool to be pale (I already fit that bill), to be considered an “other-worldly” beauty…to be powerful. As I grew up and started experiencing the true horrors of the world, I began to realize that living here, like this, forever…it was not something I really wanted. I still watch vampire movies with the same zest and zeal as I always have, but I no longer think it would be fun to be one. I don’t mind getting older, I don’t mind the idea of dying someday. It’s part of a natural process, and while it’s intriguing to consider bypassing it, at the end of the day I would always choose mortality…even if Frank Langella came up in his vampire garb and offered me otherwise. =D

Namarie, night creatures.
~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment