Sunday, February 8, 2015

Free Writing Day 5

2/8/15

I was thinking today (as I played “Lego: Lord of the Rings” and began reading The Two Towers again) about the “This I Believe” essay a classmate shared, entitled “Frodo Lives”. I was so moved by reading that essay, because there, on my computer screen, was a person who got it. I have often felt weird and alone in my love for Tolkien’s trilogy, because none of my friends truly love it as much as I do. I’m not even sure my parents love it as much as I do, and that’s saying a lot, because they are HUGE Tolkien fans. Other “fandoms” reside here, but for me, Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are the be all, end all.

For me, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is a way to escape. I can read those novels, and I can be an elf, or a ranger, or a hobbit. I can be a larger-than-life character. I can be right there beside the characters I have loved since I was a child. I cry every time Boromir dies (spoiler alert), I weep with Frodo near the end. I feel my heart racing and the strength and bravery of Eowyn as she faces an unmitigated evil, in a world where men are the warriors. She stands there, alone (except for a small hobbit nearby), and challenges the second most villainous creature in Middle Earth, all in defense of a family member. WOW. 

It is a series that moved me more deeply than any other has been able to, and I’ve read a lot. Many of them are great, but none of them leave me daydreaming for days on end.
I love the movies. No, they do not stick to the books at all, and the director destroyed the essence of many of the characters, but to see a work that I hold near and dear to my heart up on the big screen is amazing. No, the actors aren’t always what I pictured, but some of them are spot on, and the places…oh the places. Whenever the music for Rivendell comes on, and I see that Hidden Valley, I cry. Not ashamed to admit it. I get teary eyed, and think that’s what Heaven must be like. Side note, maybe Heaven is different for each person. Maybe Heaven looks like whatever makes you happiest. If that’s true, then when I get to see my brother again, Middle Earth will be overrun with Spartans from the “Halo” series!


I know it’s common for people to assume that when someone loves fantasy that much, they must have issues. Well, I really don’t. I have a firm grasp on reality, but it’s nice to travel to Middle Earth every once in a while. I never get tired of reading the books. I haven’t been able to watch the movies since my brother died (we were all watching “The Fellowship of the Ring” together the night before he passed away), but I watched them so much in the six years before that happened that I have parts of it committed to memory. And there’s always “The Hobbit” trilogy! I am very excited for the DVD release of the third film, and you’d better believe that this Tolkien nerd will be having an all-day marathon. I might even dig out my elf ears from the release of the second movie, and wear them while I watch.

Namarie, mellon nin. ~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment