Monday, February 23, 2015

Free Writing Post 21

2/23/15

I'm taking a break from writing a paper for abnormal psychology. As part of my research method, I've been listening to Nirvana (the paper is on Kurt Cobain and his struggle with mood disorders). This led me to listen to other bands from waaaaaaay back when, including The Cranberries, Savage Garden, and The Kinks, among others.

I'm currently listening to "Truly, Madly, Deeply" by Savage Garden. It's interesting that a song I considered to be one of the most beautiful love songs ever written has been replaced by things like "Turning Page" by Sleeping at Last and "You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker. It made me think of how we evolve as we grow older and experience more and more. What my parents refer to as "bubblegum" music is great when you're a preteen and don't have a clue what deep, life-changing emotions (such as real love) are. Then you grow up and understand that love is more than butterflies in your stomach, more than holding hands and kissing. Sometimes, it's two broken souls hashing out a life together.

Sometimes, you feel drawn to darker music. I've had more people than I care to count tell me that I have a dark side, and it's expressed in the music I listen to and the films I enjoy. I'm a big fan of almost everything Tim Burton, and I listen to music that can express my pain better than I can. Bands like Hinder, Evanescence, Radiohead, and Nirvana have helped me when I couldn't quite put my feelings to words. Even just the music, not necessarily the lyrics, can be incredibly cathartic.

After my brother died, I found myself losing myself in music at every opportunity. It was the way I could escape, and it is the way I let go of everything I keep pent up.

In closing...Kurt Cobain was an amazing musician. He put his heart and soul into his songs, and they were full of pain and beauty. Wow. His loss was a tragedy on every level.

Namarie once more, compadres.
~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment