Friday, February 6, 2015

Free Writing Day 3

2/6/15

Tonight, I went to the store to get some cold medicine for my sick parents. While I was there, I browsed through the Valentine’s aisle…you know, the one that looks like the holiday vomited on the shelves, and saw something that annoyed me greatly. There was a mug that said, “This mug belongs to an intelligent, strong, wonderful man.” I was really excited, thinking that there would be one that said the same thing, but for women. Nope. The one for women said, “This mug belongs to a pretty, generous, chic woman.” While it’s nice to be considered “generous”, I’d like to think that women are worth more than their outside appearance.

Why do things for women focus on society’s standards for beauty, fashion, etc? Why is the idea that a woman can be intelligent and strong not worthy of being put on a mug? It is beyond irritating to me. I am more than a female body. I read, I write, I have educated political debates with friends, I discuss philosophical ideas with my family. I laugh at fashion magazines, I scoff at most beauty products (seriously, those are fake eyelashes in the mascara commercials). I like to put on a lot of eye makeup every once in a while, but it doesn’t matter one way or the other.

I’ve liked things that “girls shouldn’t like” since I was a kid. I watched Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Gargoyles. Yes, I watched Sailor Moon and My Little Pony as well, but I never wanted to be left to just one set of things. I dressed up as Storm for Halloween as a kid, but last year I dressed up as Castiel from “Supernatural” (I have a serious crush on that angel, and I found a trench coat at a garage sale for $2).

I see girls in school who feel like being a living Barbie doll is the best they’ll ever achieve, and it makes me sick. Yes, we’re moving forward (slowly but surely), but until we stop seeing people as “female refs” “male cheerleaders”, etc…we’re never going to move past stereotypes. How about if we focus on the fact that we’re all people? Why can’t I have a cheap mug that celebrates my intellect over society’s stereotypes? Why are we still teaching our young girls that if they don't hide their natural beauty behind excessive makeup, if they don't giggle over shoes and fashion and hot guys, they're not worth anything? Why do we build up the intelligence and strength of men, but not women?


On a similar note, I bought myself a cool candy heart that said, “I *heart* me. Happy Singles Awareness Day!” It was awesome. I am blissfully single, enjoying the fact that I’m focus on my family, school, and my career. I don’t have the time or the inclination to deal with the stress associated with Valentine’s Day. Hooray for singleness!

No comments:

Post a Comment