Saturday, February 21, 2015

Free Writing Day 19

2/21/15

We are watching the Svengoolie show, and he is featuring the film "Monolith Monsters". As I'm watching it, I realize that all the modern day movies wouldn't be possible without these "cheesy" early flicks from the forties and fifties. Everything requires the past to build upon.

The movie "Tron" was amazingly advanced for its day. Without it, we probably wouldn't have the incredible CGI we experience today. The same could be said of music and books as well. If it weren't for earlier bands like The Beatles and The Stones, many of the modern rock bands wouldn't exist. Without Tolkien, it's possible that George R.R. Martin and David Eddings wouldn't have been inspired to write their amazing series.

I wonder how much this can be transferred to our everyday lives. If we don't build on our past, nothing new will ever happen. If we don't take the inspiration of others and make it our own, we're just going through the motions of life.

I take a lot from women like Susan B. Anthony and Cleopatra. I know that Cleo is frowned upon by a lot of people, but she took power and used it to every advantage. She didn't allow the fact that she was a female to hold her back. I choose to view that as inspiration. I'm not going to be held back because of my gender. Like Susan, I'm going to push the boundaries that still exist for women, and I'm going to see if I can make them change. Not by myself, of course...I'm hoping that others will be just as inspired as I am.

The reading from our class called "It Takes Practice" just popped into my mind while I was typing. If we want to truly bring about change, it takes practice. We can't make it happen in an instant. We have to live our lives in the practice of change. We have to practice making our viewpoints heard, we have to practice making them sound valid to others.

We have to learn from the past and practice its principles.

Namarie, Practitioners
~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment