Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Free Writing Day 14

Loki vs. Thor

2/17/15

I am a huge fan of the Marvel movies. I've watched "The Avengers" and the "Thor" movies more times than I can count. That being said, I got into a conversation not that long ago about who was better, Thor or Loki. I was adamant that Loki was the better person, and they were just as convinced that Thor took that title.

Characters like Loki are often viewed as jerks, and ultimate evil. I disagree. As a student of psychology, I enjoy taking a character apart, analyzing them and their motives.

While it's true that Thor is the extreme good, this does nothing for me. He's too altruistic. Everything he does from a certain point on are for the good of others. There's no real brokenness in him. Loki, on the other hand, is a shattered individual. I subscribe to the psychodynamic model of abnormal psychology, which states that all of our abnormal behaviors can be explained by events that happened in our pasts.

So, from a scientific viewpoint, let's analyze Loki. He was taken from his home as an infant, and adopted by the royal family of Asgard. He grew up in the shadow of the "golden child", the child that everyone adored. He was (more than likely) shoved to the side to make way for Thor and his accomplishments. He spent his whole childhood and adolescence trying to prove himself, but to no avail. He learns of his true parentage, and realizes that he is, essentially, a monster.

What would this cause in a person? For starters, it would certainly explain his devious and deceptive nature. When you spend your life pretending you're ok, and that you're happy for yourself and those around you, you learn to lie well. Even his attempts to gain power were just the result of that orphaned boy trying to prove himself to those who rarely noticed him.

I guess, if I could sum it up, I would say that I am more drawn to people and characters who are damaged. Abnormal psychology, even in its mildest form, is fascinating, and it helps me connect better with them.

Plus, how could you deny that this man is drop-dead gorgeous? AND HE READS VORACIOUSLY! ;D

Alright, enough nerding out for one night.

Namarie, Asgardians.

No comments:

Post a Comment