Thursday, February 12, 2015

Free Writing Day 9

Tonight, as I was letting myself daydream about chapters I want to write in my novel, I was struck by how much a certain song or type of music can influence what you write. For example, when I listen to “Two Steps from Hell”, I think of fierce battle scenes, full of heroics and terror. When I listen to Phillip Wesley, I think of sad, mournful characters facing some hardship. When I listen to specific soundtracks, I think of certain kinds of characters. Listening to the soundtrack from “Only Lovers Left Alive” makes me think of vampires, listening to anything by Howard Shore makes me think of the Tolkien-based movies.

I always write more effectively when I have music playing in the background. That being said, I can’t listen to music with lyrics, or my inclination is to sing along rather than to write. I do much better with faster-paced instrumental pieces. I struggle to write without music. Actually, I struggle to do a great many things without music, from housework to homework. I have spent so much of my life listening to music, that it is a vital part of who I am. I always have music playing in my head, and so it’s better to have it playing externally instead, I guess.

I know there are studies that show you can’t focus as well with music or other distractions, but I don’t think this is the case for me. For example, I am typing rather fast right now, and I have a very quick-paced piece of music playing in my headphone.

I feel like I’m rambling. Oh well! I’m exhausted. I suppose a bit of rambling is to be expected. On a bunny trail…I like to type with my eyes closed. I spend so much time attached to this keyboard, it’s nice to know I have the keys memorized.

I’m glad tomorrow is only a half-day of work. I can get more homework done, and hopefully listen to some new music while I’m at it. Does anyone reading this have any suggestions?


~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment